The Rural Financial Counselling Service Southern Queensland (RFCS-SQ) supports eligible farmers, fishers, forest growers, harvesters and *small related rural businesses who are experiencing financial hardship and to assist them to understand their financial position and adopt strategies to allow them to become financially self-sufficient.
These services are delivered through the Rural Financial Counselling Service Program.
RFCS-SQ also assists small and medium sized businesses.
What is rural and small business financial counselling?
Rural financial counselling is:
- independent of financial institutions, welfare agencies and government.
Who makes the decisions: Your financial counsellor will support and work with you to develop options – and you make the decisions.
What rural and small business financial counsellors CAN do -
- analyse business performance & understand your financial position
- develop cash flow budgets and projection
- explore & identify options (business & risk management planning) to improve financial self-sufficiency
- prepare for succession planning
- prepare for and facilitate meetings with lenders
- access Government Assistance and information
- prepare for and manage events such as droughts, floods and fire
- provide referrals to professionals and agencies
Rural or small business financial counsellors CANNOT provide financial advice, succession planning advice, act as a mediator, provide social or family counselling, but they CAN provide referrals to appropriate professionals and information on how to prepare for discussions with experts.
*Small Related Business is an enterprise that:
(a) is solely or primarily involved in supporting the production of Industry Products;
(b) employs no more than 10 full time equivalent employees; and
(c) is involved in supporting the production of Industry Products up to and including the time those products are harvested.
Note: For example, small related enterprises may erect fencing on farms, or provide persons to harvest crops, shear sheep, control weeds or other pests, or manage stock.
The Rural Financial Counselling Service – Southern Queensland is administered from its Head Office based in Roma.
Outreach offices are located in: Biggenden, Biloela, Blackall, Bundaberg, Charleville, Emerald, Gatton, Goondiwindi, Gympie, Kingaroy, Miles/Chinchilla, Rockhampton, Roma, St George, Toowoomba, Warwick.